A quantitative model for the GCN4 translational control in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
© You et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2007
Published: 8 May 2007
Cells are capable of accommodating the environmental changes by reprogramming gene expression. In the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, under the amino acid deprivation condition, the translational barrier primarily exerted on GCN4 mRNA is alleviated to enhance the production of Gcn4p, which subsequently induces the expression of nearly all genes involved in amino acid biosyntheses. Our Systems Biology project's goal is to construct a dynamic mathematical model that accurately predicts the kinetic behaviour of the GCN Response in S. cerevisiae. Here, we report the mathematical formulations to describe the translational control exerted on the GCN4 mRNA. More importantly, the kinetic parameter estimation for this model indicates differential scanning rates of the 40S ribosomal subunit on the GCN4 mRNA 5' leader sequence under the amino acid replete and starvation conditions. This discovery is speculated to be attributable to the change in relative helicase activities under the two conditions.
- Hinnebusch AG: Translational regulation of GCN4 and the general amino acid control of yeast. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2005, 59: 407-50. doi:10.1146/annurev.micro.59.031805.133833 pmid:16153175.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Grant CM, Miller PF, Hinnebusch AG: Requirements for intercistronic distance and level of eukaryotic initiation factor 2 activity in reinitiation on GCN4 mRNA vary with the downstream cistron. Mol Cell Biol. 1994, 14 (4): 2616-28. pmid:8139562 10.1128/MCB.14.4.2616.PubMedPubMed CentralView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gillespie DT: Exact stochastic simulation of coupled chemical reactions. J Phys Chem. 1977, 81 (25): 2340-2361. 10.1021/j100540a008.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Berthelot K, Muldoon M, Rajkowitsch L, Hughes J, McCarthy JE: Dynamics and processivity of 40S ribosome scanning on mRNA in yeast. Mol Microbiol. 2004, 51 (4): 987-1001. pmid:14763975. 10.1046/j.1365-2958.2003.03898.x.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Runarsson TP, Yao X: Stochastic Ranking for Constrained Evolutionary Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. 2000, 4 (3): 284-294. 10.1109/4235.873238.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.